
I didn't realize we had left the ground.
No one did at first. It was hard to take in what was going being that this was the first time any of us had been in a helicopter.
The propeller blades of the CH-53 spun violently. I could barely hear myself think over the thump of the rotary and the high pitch whirl of the engine. The mere vibration rattled my fold-down chair as well as the M249 machine gun in my hand. I felt myself shift in my seat to my left as the chopper yawed forward and up into the sky.
A CH-53 is a similar helicopter to the one that fly's the president. I am sure you have seen the green large bellied chopper before. However, instead of a comfortable seating arrangement and in-flight service that the president enjoys, the combat set up inside is much more rudimentary.
The 15 Marine's in my squad were crammed onto the fold down seats facing inboard. Our rifles and machine guns pointed toward the steel plated floor. Everyone smiled and watched out the back as the forest canopy moved away from us. I looked to the front of the aircraft. Two marines in olive drab flight suits and white helmets looked out the windows through their shaded oversize-lenses. The crew chief turned to us and held up two fingers, signaling our drop would be coming rather soon.
I took the time to get a good look at this crew chief. He looked like he just got out of high school a year ago.
Up in the cockpit, a vast series of switches, nobs, and gauges crowded the panel. I could see the pilots moving the controls as we started to land. One reached up and flipped a switch on the panel above. The back ramp started to whirl and hiss. Suddenly the front of the air craft lifted forward. More power from the propellers was produced to slow our decent.
Everyone clicked open their harnesses and fixed their gear. The smiles were wiped away. The faces painted with cammie-paint became serious and focused. The fun part was over now. Our 6 hour patrol into the forest was about to begin. The dangerous part of exiting the aircraft and getting into the tree line as fast as possible was only a moment away.
The chopper landed smoothly. The ramp came down. The flight crew gave us the signal that all was clear. I looked out the back and into the field and took a deep breath. Before I knew it, I was sprinting out into the small field, my head coming only a few feet away from the tail rotor as I ran. I felt a blast of wind to my back as I tried to keep my footing.
In less than one minute, 15 Marines were spread out in formation in the tree line. I heard the helicopter roar overhead as it went back to the LZ to pick up another squad for insertion.
As I scanned the tree line, I took a few seconds to realize what just happened.
Things around here are starting to become very real. The line between simulated training and what the real deal will be is becoming very fine.
Training is starting to be blurred with reality.
No comments:
Post a Comment