Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Hawk

Fun Fact: The United States Marine Corps was founded in a bar called 'Tun Tavern' in Philadelphia in 1775.

This might be the reason why the only bar found in a Barracks in all of the United States military bases is right down the hall from where i live.

"Alright, we are secured!" Said Lt. Pittsburgh. My squad closed their note books and filed out of our room. My room mates placed their hats on their desks and flipped open their cell phones. I closed my black moleskin notebook and put it on the shelf, exhaling a sigh of relief that they day was finally over. Today was not an easy day.
"Lets get down to the Hawk, its wings hot wings night." Said Lt. Jimmy
"Oh yeah, time to fill this nasty body with some chow." Said Lt. Texas.
"Hell, I might get smashed. We don't have shit but the Land Nav exam tomorrow." Said Pittsburgh.
"Yah dude. We need to hydrate for tomorrow right?" Said Lt. Texas. Everyone laughed and started to head out the door down the hall.
"You commin' down Brian?" Asked Lt.Mafia
"I was going to study for the evening, I don't think..." I began to say.
"Aw, comon Brian, the test isn't until the end of next week. Have a beer. You work too hard." Said Mafia.
"...Alright, I'll have one beer. I'll be down there in a minute" I said

When I walked the 100 feet from my room to the bar in the event room called the "Green Room", it was already full. 'The Hawk',as we call it, is a small but well furnished bar. Lt.s still in their cammies were sipping on 24 oz beers. Some slouched back on the brown wooden chairs. Others played pool on the new table with the red marine corps logo sewn in. Various trinkets, silver mugs, and photos from previous companies and other officers long since graduated donned the walls. One of the flat screen TV's had FOX news playing in the background that was competing with the out of date Juke box blaring 'Hotel California'. Some Lt.s walked across the green carpet to the buffet station by the wall with the hot wings. My room mates had already set their little plastic plates piled with wings by their beers.

I walked up to the bar. The lady behind the counter always had a smile on her face. You can just make it out from the dim lighting.

"What would you like?" She asked
"Do you have a sam adams?" I said
"Yah sure." She said while pulling out a bottle. "2 dollars."

I sat down with my buddies by the pool table next to another room mate of mine by the name of Lt. Kansas. Lt. Kansas is an officer with the ability to do impressions of anyone he meets. He's also bent on becoming an MP (Military police officer), of which I think he will fill very efficiently. He has a smile as wide as his arms and a laugh that fits his quiet nature. He took a sip of beer.

"How you feeling about land nav II tomorrow?" I asked
"I Don't know. Seems like a lot of cats from the other platoons had a tough time. How many did you say failed from 6th platoon Jimmy?"
Jimmy pushed the pool stick and hit a solid ball into the right pocket. "I think they said like 15 passed out of 50." He said
"Damn dude I am going to flip out if i have to come back and retake the exam on Saturday morning. My Parents are going to be around." Said Lt. Texas taking a bit out of a hot wing.
"Same thing here man", Said Lt. Pittsburgh, " I can't fail. Its family weekend up at the Academy. My parents are going to be around too."

I took a very long sip of my own beer and thought inward. I failed the first land navigation test, but made up for it by retaking the test on the following Saturday.I corrected my mistakes, but failing it twice is sure to get me noticed in a bad way. Not to mention it would bring my grades down quiet a bit.

Everyone had taken a moment for their own inward thought as we tipped our bottles to the ceiling decorated with insignia and badges. We were all nervous.

A new song started from the Juke box and diverted our attention as we all joined in singing "Don't stop believing" by Journey. Our worries were for tomorrow. But this evening was the first in a long time that we had been secured before 7pm.

One beer was enough for me for the night. I'll have another one tomorrow if i can find enough points to pass the exam.


Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment