Thursday, June 4, 2009

Swiming Qualifications

"Tilt your head back and look up" The instructor said. I tilted my head back and look at the ceiling. White steel bars held up a white tin riveted roof. The paint was peeling.

"Tilt your head down and look down." The instructor said again rhythmically. I looked down from the 15 foot ledge. The water of the pool suddenly looked very uninviting from this high up. The toe end of my boots were hanging over the edge. Water dripped down from my Forrest camouflage and plopped into the water. My stomach started to tighten from realizing how high i was.

"Look to the horizon and cross your hands high on your chest." The instructor said. The walls along the 25 meter pool were lined with other lieutenants waiting in line to take their turn.I tried to control my adrenaline trying not to think of the feeling of falling and focusing on what i had to do when i hit the water.
"Remember to cross your feet on the way down and put your hand on your head when you come up. GO!"

I jumped forward. My stomach flew to my throat. I cross my boots. I tensed and grunted. The fall seemed forever. An impact on my feet. Water suddenly flooded my nose. I was immersed in warm water. bubbles going around my ears. I placed my hand on my head and floated to to the top.

The other Lieutenants who jumped with me started to swim to the other end of the pool as instructed. Surprisingly, the water logged cammies i wore along with the boots did not weigh me down as much as i thought. I chose the easiest, most conservative technique to swim and started for the other end of the pool

This is called the "Abandon ship" Technique. As marines are stationed on ships, it is important to know how to jump from the craft and survive in the water. Looking up and down checks for wreckage that might be above or in the water. Looking strait ahead as i fall ensures that i enter the water strait. And a hand on my head allows me to safely remove wreckage as i come up. (remind me never to request duty on a 4 story aircraft carrier)

And this is just one of the many exercises that is apart of "Swim Qualifications" that is a required part of officer training.


Shivering was hard to resist. Standing in the water, the combination of slight adrenaline and cool air made it hard to stand still. I pulled the straps on my flak jacket (bullet proof vest)tight and adjusted the load bearing vest over that. I moved the sling of the rifle around the back of my neck, moving the 10 pound weapon to a more comfortable position in front of me. My helmet was snug against my scalp as water trickled down my neck into my already soaked cammies.

"Ok Sir," Said the enlisted instructor, "Go ahead!" It was my turn in line. I leaned forward and started my 50 meter swim around the pool in 15 foot water.

Slow and steady wins the race I said to myself. Breathe slowly.I preformed a slow breast stroke, moving my hands out to the side as I kicked my legs at the same time. My progress was slow, but i progressed.

35 meters left.

Breathing was getting heavy. my chin started to hit the water with each stroke.

20 meters.

My arms, restricted by the straps of the Flak jacket, started to burn from working. I swallowed water as I dipped down during a weak stroke.

15 meters.

Everything is heavy. Breathing is faster. I'm not going as fast as when I started. My arms are giving out.

10 meters.

I'm not going to make it. I dip down again, taking more water and cough. My movements became quick and more like treading water. I wasn't moving forward. Wasting energy. This damn equipment. Breathing faster, loosing strength, loosing composure.

Relax Brian... relax. Think

I controlled my breathing and flipped over to my back and began a back stroke. I pushed my arms down and away from me and repelled forward.

The whistle blew. I stood up in the shallow end of the pool, undressed and gave the gear to the next officer to swim. My chest and arms burned, as well as my lungs from all the chlorine that i just swallowed. I took a deep breath.

Swimming has never been my strong suit. But today i overcame. Others, unfortunately, did not. I have successfully completed my requirements for Swim qualification and have taken another step in avoiding being put in the holding company.

Its nice to get started off on the right foot. And lets hope that the next step will be on dry land and not pushing the water below.

Thanks for reading :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment