Humid Air
Nothing makes a dress shirt stick to your back better than the Virginia humidity. I struggled to carry two over stuffed bags clutched in my hands. The heat radiated off the black suit i wore for reporting as i walked on the base for the first time as a lieutenant. The walk way along the white three story cinder block building was lined with pull up bars. The half dying grass struggled to stay alive as other lieutenants in suits walked with bags in hand into the building. It was nice to know that i wasn't the only one who brought too much stuff.
Relaxing Air
I walked in to the Barracks onto lush green carpet. Dark wooden walls were lined with pictures and paintings of marines. A quick left and a right following the signs revealed a larger meeting room with lieutenants sitting behind tables dressed in desert camouflage. I approached one of the tables to check in
"Good morning sir." i said
"Good morning lieutenant. Name?" said the
"Brian Sir." i said
"its ok, you don't have to call me sir. We're both Lieutenants." he said as he handed me my paper work. "You are in second platoon. Sign here then go over to the tables over there."
"Thanks." i said.
Instead of the hostile and tense atmosphere of what i knew from Officer Candidate School, i was welcomed to the ease and calmness of an officer atmosphere. Check in went as smooth as the voices of the officers as they calmly checked in the new lieutenants coming in.
Air conditioning
It buzzed rather loudly, but i didn't mind. The rooms had a very familiar feeling. White cinderblock walls, the same light color fire-treated desks and chairs, and grey tile made up this small study room. If i hadn't know i was on a military base, i would have thought i was back in one of the dorm rooms of my university. Two Lieutenants were already there, bags half unpacked, paper work over the desks. The cool air ran down my neck as i gripped warm hand shakes of welcome from my new platoon mates for the next 6 months.
Lunch in the air
I sat in the common room, dressed in my desert camouflage and boots, typing away at my computer already. A buddy of mine from OCS, who happens to be in my platoon here, sat across from me. After a greeting hand shake and small talk of what we have been up to the last year, he looked to the green folder next to me.
"Yo dude, you workin' on the autobiography already?" he said
"Yah, i wanted to get a head start." i said
"Alright cool. We'll im going to subway and then to the PX (store). Want to come along?" he said.
"Nah, im ok." i said. I knew the PX was far off and i didn't feel like going all that way for a subway sandwich.
"Alright, ill be back in a few." He said getting up.
He wasn't kidding when he said a few. Only 5 minutes later, he sat down in his seat near me with a fresh foot long sandwich and a giant cup of soda.
"Woah... how did you get that so fast? Is it around the corner or something?" I asked.
"Nah dude, its right there." he pointed.
And right there, literally 20 paces away from the common room in the barracks... was a Subway. I took a conscious sniff in the air and smelled the toasted subs coming out of the ovens. I could think of nothing more convenient... or tempting. I am going to have to try and resist to buy a sandwich ever time i go by now.
Stuffy Air
Very few environments are more uncomfortable than the class room i was sitting in. For the past 7 hours, 300 officers sat in stadium style seating of an auditorium. I wiped the sweat from my brow as i wrote down my social security number, full name, and birth date for the nth time. Apparently the air conditioning was not working for the moment. What I wanted more than ever was to get out of the air and get into a pool.
And surprisingly, my wish will be granted soon enough. A staff non-commissioned officer (SNCO) directed our attention to the power point presentation on the screen after turning in our paper work. Tomorrow is swim qualifications.
Hopefully i will have air enough in my lungs to pass for tomorrow.
I am very much enjoying my time here so far. The amount of busy work and preparation is a little over whelming, but i am sure to manage it. I will post on swim qualifications as soon as i can tomorrow. I am a little nervous though. There are 329 Lts. in our company right now. The staff has to whittle it down to 300 and put the rest in a holding company. If i fail tomorrow, i might get put there.
But i have a feeling that i will do great tomorrow.
I'll post about swim qualifications as soon as i can. Thanks for reading :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete